Tuesday, April 28, 2015


Scrambled eggs are fast, they’re filling, and they’re infinitely customizable, which is why I find myself eating them at least twice every week. Because I keep an arsenal of ideas on hand, I never get sick of them. Check out my favorite ways to make a scramble, and you never will, either. 
1. Feta and Dill
Pull the eggs off the heat just before they finish cooking, and add crumbled feta cheese and chopped fresh dill. The cheese will melt slightly (while still leaving a few pockets of extra-gooey goodness), and the dill lightens and freshens things up. This is most excellent with pita or piled on toast.
2. Bacon Grease and Cheddar
I always keep a jar of bacon grease around because I’m that kind of gal. It’s a great substitute for butter or oil when cooking scrambled eggs—not to mention a nice way to add bacon flavor when you’re out of bacon. If you’ve got the real stuff on hand, all the better. Whatever cheddar you use, buy it in brick or block form and grate it yourself; that pre-grated stuff just ain’t right.
3. Garlic and Onion
This one takes a little bit more work, but it’s worth it. Sauté half a chopped onion and a minced garlic clove or two until soft and fragrant, then add in the eggs. If there’s any scent better than garlic and onions on the stovetop, I haven’t discovered it yet. A generous splash of Sriracha wouldn’t be the worst finisher in the world, here.
4. Spinach and Parmesan
This recipe for 
scrambled eggs with spinach and parmesan is one of my favorite. A walloping three cups of spinach goes into the mix (it cooks down considerably), making me feel just a bit more virtuous about the shower of Parm I also stir in. Bonus points for red chile flakes.
5. Miso and Scallion
I always keep a tub of brown rice or barley miso in my fridge, and most often find myself stirring a tablespoon of it into cooked scrambled eggs. It adds a salty, funky, and fermented note that’s great with chopped scallion greens. Be sure to add the miso in after the eggs have come off the heat; cooking it will kill all of the good-for-you probiotics. Don’t have miso? A drizzle of tamari or soy sauce would be great, too.
6. Migas-Style Tortillas
Two words for you: Fried tortillas. Sauté a torn corn tortilla or two in your skillet, and once it gets good and golden, add in your eggs and scramble them, letting them coat and cling to the tortilla bits. Add in cheese and hot sauce, and all you need is a cup of coffee. Pro tip: This is also most excellent paired with beer at dinner.


Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Cooking time © 2013 | Powered by Blogger | Blogger Template by DesignCart.org